You may use the PDFIMPORT command in AutoCAD, and then save the new drawing as DXF format file.
- Lines will become editable geometry and text will become editable text.
- The accuracy of the resultant AutoCAD content is largely dependent upon the quality of the original PDF, so results may vary.
- PDF underlays in drawings created with previous AutoCAD releases can be converted into editable drawing geometry using the PDFIMPORT command.
- Prior to AutoCAD 2017, it was not possible to convert a PDF file to a DXF file using AutoCAD or AutoCAD LT.
- PDF files could only be inserted as underlays (external references). The content could then be traced and scaled to known dimensions, if desired.
- Using PDFIMPORT with PDFs created from scanned images/documents will result in the creation of a raster image file, which is then attached to the drawing as an xref.
- The raster imagery will not be converted into editable geometry.
PDF vs DXF
The data in PDF format supports the following:
- Real numbers that are usually represented with single-precision floating-point accuracy in recent versions
- Five graphical object types: path (line segments and Bézier curves), shading, TrueType™ text, inline image, and external
- Several properties that include primarily colors, layers, and line widths
In contrast, the data in DXF format supports a far richer data set including the following:
- Real numbers that are represented with double-precision floating-point accuracy, which is several orders of magnitude more precise than single precision
- More than 60 types of geometric objects, including compound objects such as dimensions, hatches, and blocks
- More than 50 types of properties
- Object associativity such as is available with hatches, blocks, and dimensions
Due to the difference in precision between PDF and DXF formats, the values for coordinates, angles, distances, and widths are rounded off in PDF format. As a result, objects will be modified slightly when you output geometric data to a PDF file. These differences are most noticeable when working with large distances and dynamic ranges, as is common with large maps.
How Objects are Translated from pdf to dxf?
When a PDF file is generated, all supported objects are translated into paths, fills, raster images, markups, and TrueType text. In PDF, paths are composed of line segments and cubic Bézier curves, either connected or independent. However, when a PDF file is converted to DXF, note the following:
- Bézier curves are converted into circles and arcs if they are within a reasonable tolerance to those shapes. Otherwise, they are converted into 2D polylines.
- Elliptical shapes can be converted into 2D polylines, splines, or ellipses depending on how they were stored in the PDF.
- As an option, each set of approximately collinear segments can be combined into a polyline with a dashed linetype named PDF_Import.
- Compound objects such as dimensions, leaders, patterned hatches, and tables result in many separate objects as if these objects were exploded.
- Solid-filled areas are imported as 2D solids, or optionally as solid-filled hatches. They are assigned a 50% transparency to make sure that any text within the areas is visible.
- Text that used TrueType fonts is preserved, but text that originally used SHX fonts is imported as separate geometric objects.
- Raster images generate PNG format files that are attached to the drawing file as external references. These image files are saved in a folder specified by the PDFIMPORTIMAGEPATH system variable, which can also be specified in the Options dialog box, Files tab.
- Point objects are converted to zero-length polylines.
- Markups are not imported.
If your AutoCAD is Prior to AutoCAD 2017, you may choose our AutoDWG PDF to DXF Converter or Online PDF to DXF Conversion to convert pdf to dxf, the converter supports batch conversions.
AutoDWG PDF to DXF Converter Pro
AutoDWG PDF to DXF Converter allows you to quickly and accurately convert mutiple PDF files to editable DXF formats, with support for vector and raster images.
PDF to DXF Conversion Free online
- Upload your pdf file to AutoDWG pdf to dxf online converter
- Wait a few seconds and then download your converted DXF