Blocks can contain special objects called attribute definitions, also known as block attributes. Attributes can be added to a block to store values such as part numbers, product names, ratings, descriptions, item cost, and so on. Some block attributes can contain static information such as a part number, while other block attributes can include information that varies from one block to the next such as its finish, cost or location. All block attribute values can later be extracted into a table object or CSV file that can be imported into another application.
Some of the common uses for attributes are:
- Title blocks which can contain different Project and Client information from drawing to drawing or even layout to layout
- Room, door, and window labels
- Blocks that represent physical objects or locations which need to be tracked in the real-world; screws, office furniture, and land plats
The ability to extract attribute information from blocks into a table object or CSV file for use in another application can help save time and reduce costly errors that might occur from re-entering the data. The Data Extraction wizard is the most efficient way to extract attribute information from blocks inserted into a drawing. It can also be used to extract property values that are associated with the other types of geometry defined in a drawing along with general information about a drawing file.
Extract Block Attribute Data in AutoCAD
- Open drawing that contains blocks with attributes that you want to extract.
- Enter DATAEXTRACTION at the command prompt.
- In the Data Extraction Wizard, choose Create a New Data Extraction and click Next to continue.
- Specify a name and location for the new DXE file, such as Office Furniture.dxe and place it in your My Documents folder.A DXE file is a data extraction file which is used to store the extraction settings chosen in the Data Extraction wizard, and to then be able to use those same settings when extracting data from other drawing files.
- Use the Drawings/Sheet Set and Include Current Drawing options, and click Next to continue.
- Clear the Display All Object Types checkbox and choose Display Blocks Only, and click Next to continue.
- Under Category Filter, clear all options except Attribute and then make sure the properties checked match the attribute values to extract.
- Double-click the Display Name field for each attribute and change its value to match the previous image. Click Next to continue.
- On the Refine Data page, reorder, rename and hide columns to control the extracted output. Click Next to continue.
- On the Choose Output page, check Insert Data Extraction Table into the Drawing and click Next.
- On the Table Style page, select the table style to use and type an appropriate name for the title of the table. Click Next and then Finish to place the table in the drawing.
Batch Extract Block Attribute Data with AutoDWG Attribute Extractor
AutoDWG Attribute Extractor is for batch extracting of attribute data from AutoCAD attribute blocks without running AutoCAD.
- Stand-alone application, run without AutoCAD.
- Batch extract attribute data from numerous files in one go.
- Output format of TXT, CSV and Excel file are supported.
- Command line is supported (Server version only).
- DWG/DXF file versions from R9 to 2024 are supported.